Thursday, July 14, 2016

My Working Week #2

My Working Week #2
This is re-assessment of 'my working week' after reading JPOD by Douglas Copeland. Previously I had thought that all useful work was done on Tuesday afternoons. But now it dawns on me that:

Monday is duff because I have, over the weekend, started to get used to a life without deadlines and pointless meetings.

Tuesday is duff because I depressed by the knowledge that the week has four days of deadlines and pointless meetings left.

Wednesday is duff because I realise, at midday, that half the week is over, and I haven't done any of the work that would make the rest of the deadline infested week bearable.

Thursday is OK because I did just enough work on Wednesday afternoon to keep the deadline wolves at bay. And more importantly, the weekend is in sight.

Friday is duff because I am just waiting for the end of the day, which is embarrassing.

Saturday is duff because I have to do all the home based tasks that I haven't had time to do in the week.

Sunday is duff because I find, in all the duffness of the week, that I have failed to plan anything to do, and the day just drifts by. And so it turns out that all useful work is done on Wednesday afternoons and Thursday is only OK day, and not Friday as is commonly thought.

My Working Week #1
Below is a reprint of my first analysis of My Working Week. 

Monday morning - a complete ‘write-off’, I’m still recovering from the weekend.
Monday afternoon - just about recovered, but it’s too late to start a project.

Tuesday morning - fully recovered now, I start planning to do some work on the project.
Tuesday afternoon - nothing can stop me now - I work on the project all afternoon.

Wednesday morning - exhausted from the previous day’s efforts, I can’t seem to apply myself. Wednesday afternoon - no point in starting a project this late in the day, I award myself a long coffee break.

Thursday morning - start planning another project.
Thursday afternoon - I realise that the weekend is approaching at that I might not be able to finish the project, no work gets done.

Friday morning - ring round friends to see what they are doing on the weekend.
Friday afternoon - you have to be joking. And so we see that all useful work is done on Tuesday afternoons.

No comments: